Monday, January 6, 2014

Tips and Tricks

According to movies, having a Mom who was a former representative of Clinique an an older sister I should have received the holy grail of makeup tips. But I didn't. Everything I know about beauty I've discovered from magazines, the internet or trail and error.

Recently my older sister asked for some makeup advice. I thought this was amusing (because she's older, so she should be teaching me stuff), but I told her some of my tricks regardless. So here's a handful of my most coveted beauty tricks and tips.

http://www.lifeloveandlacquer.com/

1. Nail polish is so expensive. I'm not about to spend $9 on one OPI polish (I wish I could, hell I wish I could buy Butter polish). But I buy Spoiled polish instead, which is only $1.99 and can be found at CVS. The polish maintains a good consistency and has a wide bush for easy application. It chips easily, so I would invest in good top coat. I use Sally Hansen advance hard as nails top coat.

http://www.womansday.com/

2. Stop buying shaving cream, It is honestly the biggest waste of money. Swap out you shaving cream for conditioner.  All shaving cream is doing is softening your leg hairs to create an easy close shave. Conditioner is made to soften your hair, and is a lot cheaper than shaving cream. Buy a hug pump of the cheapest conditioner, and violà, you are all set.

http://pakifashion.com/

3. Use multiple eyeliner products and layer them for extra stay power. I personally like gel and liquid liner. First I start out with Revlon gel liner, then I go over it with Sephora liquid liner. My liner stays for hours and is super dark. If pencil is more your thing, I would recommend MAC kohl eyeliner. The trick to great eyeliner is to use multiple kinds, so stock up.

http://beautyfool.com/

4. Exfoliate your lips for a smooth, soft, kissable mouth, Exfoliated lips will help lipstick and gloss lay evenly. You can buy exfoliate or make your own, I've done it both ways and I don't have a preference. ELF lip exfoliate is the one I'm currently using. When I make my own I combine Vaseline and brown sugar, but the internet is full of different recipes. 

http://theinbetweengirls.com/

5. Rim your waterline with white eyeliner. It will instantly open up and brighten you eyes. This is because the white liner enhances the whites of your eyes. I'm currently using NYX slim eye pencil, but obviously any liner will do just make sure it's a pencil and not a cream liner. 

http://www.maskcara.com/

6. Contouring your face is an art. It will make you look like you were born with impeccable bone structure or enhance it. All that is needed is blush, bronzer and highlighter. I use NYX cream blush, ELF bronzer and Rimmel London radiance shimmer. The difficult part is where the hell do these products go. I reference this contouring picture, which shows hot to contour based on face shape. The picture is from the makeup blog Mask Cara, which can teach you how to contour way better than I ever could.

http://blogs.ubc.ca/susannayao/2012/11/16/beauty-queen-sephora/

7. Sign up for Ulta and Sephora emails. There are so many freebies and coupons, I cringe when people pay full price. Hell, if you like a product so much go to the company's website and sign up for their emails. Chances are they will have their own freebies and coupons. The more freebies the merrier. 

Hopefully you learned some new beauty tricks and will be able to teach your older sister something too!

--


7 comments:

Search This Blog